With two feet firmly planted in both the creative and the recruiting worlds, it’s Sam’s dream to find London’s freelancers amazing jobs at cool companies.
From advice on making a great LinkedIn profile to revealing the best creative event in London, he’s got some great career info to pass along in our 11 Quick Questions.
- Best way for freelancers to market themselves on social media? You should have your essential information clearly presented in your bio/profile: availability, skillsets, location, portfolio link, etc. Make sure you emphasize any big and/or exciting brands that you've worked on. The freelance market is very competitive and it's important to be seen and heard!
- What’s the BEST thing you can do when you’re looking for a job? Give yourself an amazing online presence. Stand out! Whether that’s on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, or all four!
- Digital or creative hero? Peter Jaworowski, aka The Hejz, If you don't know him, you should. This guy is absolutely gifted. He's worked with a lot of top brands and has been successful enough of set up his own creative company, Ars Thanea. He was one of my creative inspirations during University and much of the work he’s produced is mind-blowing.
- Biggest mistake people make on their resumes? Apart from the obvious—that is, spelling mistakes—I'd say it’s creating an overly long and detailed CV (sorry, resume!) Some may think it's good to elaborate on your experience as much as you can, but you need to know that a hiring manager will give your CV/resume 15 to 30 seconds before making a decision. You need to get the important information out quickly!
- Best tips for a making a great LinkedIn profile? This is not too dissimilar from your CV really. It goes without saying, but tailor your profile so that that it is easy to read. Include your former positions, dates of employment, and brief bios of your day-to-day responsibilities. Recommendations are also key. Getting a fantastic one from a recent manager, colleague, or client will boost your LinkedIn profile considerably.
- Best creative/digital event in your city? Glug London. They put together so many cool events within the advertising, visual arts, design, and even fashion fields. It's just a great way to network and meet some really cool people.
- Describe your city in 5 words. Hectic, multicultural, unique, buzzing, fun!
- Favorite place to keep up with changes in the digital world? The Digital Buzz Blog is my go to place for daily updates.
- Advice for freelancers to make their first day a successful one? First impressions are key. Stay focused and make sure your goals/tasks are set with clear expectations of delivery.
- Who rocks your world on Twitter? Ricky Gervais (@rickygervais) is pretty entertaining. His bath photos are hilarious (and not as wrong as they sound).
- Guilty song pleasure? Great, this is where my rep goes downhill. It might sound crazy, but it ain’t no lie: it's *NSYNC’s “Bye Bye Bye.” It was a catchy song way back then. No?! Fine, I'll get my coat!
Looking for creative jobs in London?
Connect with Saml!