A progressive nonprofit civil rights advocacy organization is seeking to bring on a Director of Social Media & Content!
- Start: ASAP
- Duration: 6 months, possibility ot staying on longer/going perm
- Team: you will have 2 people under you who can provide support
- Report To: Chief Marketing and Storytelling Officer
- Looking for: experience working in digital platforms, building audiences around social media, someone who has worked closely with non-profits, working with advocacy groups, understand working across teams, understand basis of social media pieces, managing relationship and team, managing and overseeing budget
The Marketing & Storytelling team creates and leads the brand and content strategy necessary to translate and advance our values, vision and efforts across a broad set of national influencers and grassroots activists. Through various platforms and mediums, the team is responsible for supporting efforts across the organization to deliver on our main promise: provoking the level and frequency of action from our members and allies that will force target decision makers to take action, and thereby achieve real world impact and lasting, systemic change. The team is also responsible for brand management, strategic content development, content distribution, and high-level media relations. Central to the Marketing & Storytelling team’s work is our Hollywood Project, an initiative designed to change the way Black people (and the issues we care about) are represented in entertainment media, and to effectively leverage cultural influencers in support our campaigns.
Working with the Chief Marketing & Storytelling Office (CMSO), the Director of Social Media & Content will be responsible for driving our values and messages to a broad set of strategic targets among national influencers and grassroots activists. The Director will lead and collaborate on brand management, narrative development, production of creative content, and management of media relations.
The ideal candidate is a leader who:
- Thrives in a fast-paced, collaborative, digitally native organization
- Has a vision for how grassroots power can influence important, far-reaching decisions on issues that disproportionately impact Black communities
- Has direct experience building and managing a brand
- Has successfully executed data-driven, multi-channel campaigns;
- Is a team player and proven manager, able to inspire both staff and external consultants
- Shares our commitment to amplifying the voice of Black Americans in politics, entertainment and industry
- Has a finger on the pulse of the communities we lift up, able to leverage cultural trends to generate enthusiasm, growth and real power and be able to convey this information through various digital media platforms.
1. Social Media Management & Brand Awareness (45%)
- Execute a multi-year strategy to grow the visibility and influence of our company through the organization’s existing and forthcoming digital and offline channels and networks.
- Ensure quality and consistency of brand identity, narrative, tone and personality across all channels.
- Optimize our digital properties for search and user experience across all channels (website, social media, email, mobile, video, print and in-person).
- Develop partnerships with individuals and institutions to drive our social media presence and brand toward new audiences, platforms and opportunities.
- Guide development of content to support the Executive Director, CMSO and other senior staff efforts to amplify our thought leadership.
2. Narrative Development and Change (20%)
- Working in partnership with the Campaigns team and Hollywood Hub, develop content and communications strategies to challenge damaging practices and policies and shift the national conversation on key issues-- leveraging partners, research and other capacities to create change.
- Continually evolving our story and capacity for powerful, strategic storytelling, while taking into consideration the growth of the organization and changing political and social realities.
- Proactively shape the public’s understanding of our company, racial justice, Black leadership, and other core concepts.
3. Media Engagement (15%)
- Ensure our campaigns win in the news cycle, creating the right attention for the issues.
- Lead on crisis communications, in consultation with the Chief Marketing & Storytelling Officer.
4. People Management (20%)
- Manage and evaluate staff and other partners, including creative vendors, research partners, marketing partners, cross-channel distribution and collaboration partners and any others who help us advance our agenda.
We don’t like to insert a long list of “must haves” here. What we know is that this is not a traditional PR or communications role. We are looking for a creative and mature leader with vision and insight, recognizing that person could come from a range of backgrounds.
Some or all of these would be great to see in the ideal candidate’s background:
- Digital marketing, brand management, creative direction and partnership experiences;
- Experience with organic and paid social media strategies;
- Prior experience working in product/app development and user experience optimization;
- Experience working with creative talent, and a portfolio of creative work and content development across a range of purposes, engagement channels and formats;
- Experience with strategic narrative development – including sharp, engaging writing for speeches and presentations – on a range of racial and general social issue topics;
- Experience managing media engagement for both rapid response and long lead stories.
- Experience leading a team